Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Well, there is alot to talk about. First, I want to say a brief prayer. I pray that the soldiers who go to Afghanistan remain safe, along with the Afghan people, especial civilians. I pray that we move toward a society where everyone can afford healthcare benefits. Most of all i pray for our children. I was listening to a popualr Baltimore radio station earlier today. They were having a town hall meeting to address the youth violence that has plagued the streets of Baltimore and other cities nationwide. The meeting was held at an AME church called the Empowerment Temple, which is led by a charismatic young minister by the name of Jamal Bryant. During the meeting, a popular radio host stated "single mothers, you can be role models for your sons as well." I nodded my head in agreement as I sat in my car. He then said, "you need to start beating your children, that part of the problem. Noone beats their kids anymore." The other panelist laughingly agreed. i was stunned and horrified. One can easily point out the fact that I have no children, so it is easy and convenient to suggest how other people should raise their kids. However, I have been involved in the rearing of my three nephews and I have seen what works and what doesn't. Contrary to what this radio host stated, I believe that the reason for the violence in Baltimore is in part because many of these children are being beaten. They see violence in their homes and believe that it is the first means to solving a problem. If you do decide on corporal punishment for your children follow my grandfather's rule and never hit your children out of frustration or anger. At that point it does matter how hard or soft you hit him or her, it is abuse. Wait until you have calmed down before you administer the spanking. The first answer to youth violence may begin with hugging your children and telling them they are brilliant. I have always credited my father, with encouraging me to believe my potential was limitless. I recall him telling me often statements like "you are destined for greatness." I am a firm believer in positive reinforcement for children. I believe if you took two children of equal capacity for learning and achievement, and told one he/she was brilliant, beautiful, and that he/she is filled with potential and told the other they were stupid, ugly, and going to be a failure, 98 times out of 100, the former child would succeed in life. Maybe more importantly, the later child would almost always fail in some or all facets of life. Malcolm X, Marcus Garvey and many others have taught black people the love of self is paramount to success and self-determination. once we love ourselves we will be better equipped to love others. Those lessons must begin in the home. Our community also needs role models who truly stand for something. Kids, in their infinite skepticism, are better at sniffing out charletons than adults. Which brings me full circle back to Jamal Bryant. Our children are robbing one another and adults because they feel the pressure to keep up with a materialistic society. Jamal Bryant, a supposed man of God, bragged about driving a Bentley (while preaching and collecting tithes from some of the city and state's poorest citizens). Too many preachers forget that Jesus himself was never monetarily wealthy. Bryant had an affair and impregnated an underage girl, while his wife sat home nursing their 3 year old and one year old twins. He also has a 8 year old child whom he previously had very little to do with. I do think men of the cloth should be held to a high standard, and how can you criticize parents with such an horrendous track record? I really don't care that Tiger Woods was swinging his club on someone elses green. I would not criticize Pastor Bryant either, if he A) slept with women over the age of 18 and B) made like a Christmas gift and wrapped it up. To his credit he did say some good things (including how our need good role models lol). But he ended the session by stating the following: "we will end this meeting in 90 seconds... but we are still in a church, so I can not let the crowd leave without taking up an offering." Amen to the almighty dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment