Friday, July 17, 2009

Try and Diss Me...

To quote one of my own own songs I feel "free and liberated" as a rap artist. I feel this freedom for several reason. It is not for the same reasons as many artists. The cliche is for artists who are newly independent to say 'man, I feel free 'cuase I'm my own boss.' Often times they are lying. These artists do independent records because major labels are not fooling with them anymore. It is true that they may be getting 4 dollars per record versus 50 cents, but they also go from selling 500,000 to selling 10,000 (You do the math). No more big tours, nice hotels and they will notice a drop off in the attractiveness of their groupies. Not to mention it is considerable more work. So, no that's not why I feel free. I feel free because I can say whatever the hell I want to say. So many rappers are imprisoned by rap rhetoric. They have to discuss their rap sheet ( or make excuses for their lack of one). They feel they must go to 'back to the hood' and video blog about how they can stand on their block and be 'good' since they have earned so much respect. The saddest part is some of these guys are nearing 40 years old and talk, dress and act like teenagers. They are afraid for people to know their true age, as if it isn't written in every wrinkle, laughline, and grey hair that Grecian formula could not reach. Haysoos on the otherhand is 31 years old. Though his neighborhood looks 'hood' from the outside, it is a quiet, upstanding immigrant community. And though he is straight, he supports gay rights. Yup, I said it! I'm not going to go back on it because some b$tch-made rap fans or bloggers may question him or his sexuality. Now on the same token, I know some in the gay community may listen to his music and say "oh, that line was homophobic." I don't doubt it because I am a recovering homophobe. I'm not making excuses for it, but it is a fact. Sorry, Rome wasn't built in a day, but I will protect your rights as human beings. Rap is for expression. Why would I express this in the classroom and be afraid to say it on the mic? In reality, I guess I have reached a point that many rap artist talk (or lie) about: I don't give a F&CK! My mentor is a lesbian, as are some of my coworkers and friends. I'm a fan of Langston Hughes and Walt Whitman's poetry, and both of them were fruity as a smoothie. I guess I get along with lesbians because we both like women, I don't know. Now there are cats who are 40 years old and just joining street gangs. A shout out to Chicago and LA. Their gang history and situation is different. Their gangs started to support and protect their communities. But DC, Bmore, and New York? Come on, that's not what we do!!!! We originate styles, we don't imitate. Well, it is safe to say these things because noone reads this blog any way. Hazmatic and I'm gone...

No comments:

Post a Comment