Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ain't Never had a Friend like Me

I was just reminded that the holy month of Ramaddan is fast approaching. I am beginning to conceptualize it as a period of spiritual diet and exercise. One becomes increasingly more aware of what one feeds his/her mind and soul. Abstaining from harmful material is supplemented by a steady regimen of prayer and God-conscious fasting. I realize I have gotten spiritually flabby and need a strong return to the basic principles that are supposed to guide my life. The past year has been an interesting one. I am thankful that so many good people have entered my life, and am also equally grateful for the time I shared with the good people who have walked out of it. A conversation i had with a friend last night made me realize that i have been selfish. I have offered them only a percentage of me, then expressed my disappointment when the only recipricated a small percentage of themselves. I want to warn all of my friends against behaving this way. Sometimes the key is not about the amount of love you give, it is about letting your friends know that your are givin them the absolute maximum amount possible. It is like when you parents would be more proud when they saw you sacrifice and study hard to a pull off that B- in math, then they would be of all the A's you earned in English because it came naturally. the only thing harder than earning good grades in math for me is earning someone's trust, and the only thing more difficult than that is re-earning their trust. At the sametime, I want all my friends who maybe reading this to know that i have a distinct way and type of love for each and everyone of you. If i tried to give your love to another, it would not fit and would come across fake. My next piece of advice, is fear is a good emotion but one that should be kept within the confines of you personal relationship with a higher power. Fear is what keeps us from jumping off of cliffs with no parachute, or ghostriding your whip on the freeway. However, constantly expressing your fears makes people feel accused of causing them or makes you appear to be a coward. We've all survived trials, tribulation, and disappointment and it has shaped us into the people we are today. I am warning you all of these things because they are mistakes i have made at some point in my life. What we say is extremely important since it is how we communicate what is in our hearts. People desire to be close to a brave heart, not a scared one. If you heart is scared (or scarred) how will I able to lean on you when my heart is wounded?
If you are reading this piece, cherish your friendships. Relish in them. Travel to see them. Strengthen them. Rebuild them. Forgive them. Learn from them. Love them. Hazmatic and I'm gone...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know how ur other friends feel about this but I'm sure the majority feel the same way I do. I am very grateful to have you in my life. You are a great man! You are giving, caring, and loving. Not many men show emotion and love to others like you do and you should be very proud of that. From the short time that I have known you I have realized that you love and give with ur kinds words and actions towards me and also other friends. Sooo... Michelle Gomez is very grateful to God to have brought you into my life and hope that our friendship last a lifetime. Thanks for everything you have said or done for me... I am a better person because of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for expressing yourself here, especially right before the month of Ramadan. It is definitely something I will reflect on.

    ReplyDelete